Tuesday 23 December 2014

Blogmas | Alternative Christmas Playlist


Merry Christmas Eve-eve! It's very nearly the big day and, I don't know about you, but I fancy a bit of a change up with the music. Don't get me wrong, nothing brings me joy than listening to the cheesy pop classic that have become tradition to listen to at this time of year. However, sometimes I do wish a new one would sneak into the radio playlist. The newest Christmas that has charted this is Mariah Carey... again! Sometimes, I just want to hear something a little different and mix it up a little bit. Which leads me here, my very own alternative Christmas playlist where I have avoided the typical Christmas classics and have actually found amazing songs that have been completely overlooked over the past few years. 

Mulled Wines- BBC Radio One's Greg James and Chris Smith (with the news...): This hilariously festive parody of Blurred Lines from BBC's Greg James and Chris Smith with the news (only fans of the Greg James show will understand the that) is most definitely better than the original. I mean, it is clear that they aren't profession singers but that doesn't overshadow the pure genius that is this parody of what was the biggest song of last year. 

I Want an Alien For Christmas- Fountains of Wayne: That's right, the band that brought you Stacy's Mum also have, this although a little strange but nonetheless awesome, Christmas hit. An alien isn't exactly what I have on my Christmas list, I think that may be a little frightening opening up one on Christmas day, but it does sound like a cool pet. Remember, aliens are for life not just Christmas!

Yule Shoot Your Eye Out- Fall Out Boy: Not as sinister as the title suggests, but it's not your traditional uplifting Christmas classic, which is what this playlist is all about. For some, Christmas isn't full of cheer and I'm sure there are people we really don't want to bump into this Christmas. If anything, this song is probably the most honest Christmas song I've heard for a long time. We can't be cheerful for the whole of December, can we? Oh my gosh, can you tell I'm a bit of a Scrooge!

Merry Christmas (Wherever You Are)- Lower Than Atlantis: I heard this song for the first time on last nights Made and Chelsea episode today. It was released a couple of years ago and I'm a little shocked that it hasn't had a much airplay as I would of expected. Lower Than Atlantis is one of BBC Radio One's favourite bands so I would of expected to hear it being played on the radio, especially since it's such a great song. Oh well, I spread the word here instead!

Santa Looks A Lot Like Daddy- Bowling For Soup: This is a more modern rock cover from the creators of the Phineas and Ferb theme tune (oh yeah!) of the Buck Owens song from 1965. I'd actually never heard the original before, this kind of Christmas song isn't as big in Britain and it certainly isn't a song you can play to young children, but it does make me chuckle. I think it's just the brutal honesty of a child recognising that Santa doesn't quite look as you would imagine and the incredible catchy-ness of Bowling For Soup's music that you just can't help but love.

Some may say it's a little bit late for a new Christmas Playlist, but I say it's never too late! As always, here's a link to my YouTube version of this playlist for you to have a gander at.  Are there any Christmas songs that you love? New or old, classic or unknown, let me know in the comments. I'd love to hear from you.

Tasmin x

No comments:

Post a Comment